Tuesday 14 February 2012

Pasta with Broccoli and Prawns in Lemon Sauce


Pasta is for me a stable food. I just love good hard wheat pasta and can easily eat it 5-times a week without getting bored of it. So you can expect a lot of dishes that can be combined with pasta in my blog.
Another stable in my kitchen are prawns. As I am one of the blessed ones living in a coastal city they are available fresh all year around. If you a less fortunate one you can always use good quality frozen ones. Just make sure you defrost them completely before you use them for cooking.
The broccoli use in this recipe can be replaced by regular green peas or sugar peas.
This is a quick and light dish that has a wonderful freshness to it. It always gives me a summer feeling. I guess that is due to the lemon flavour in it.

As a general rule I take 65g dry pasta per person and boil it in a lot of salted water until it is al dente. What shape of pasta you use is completely up to you.
While the pasta is cooking I cut per person 150g broccoli into big pieces and cook it for about 5 minutes til it is also al dente. Drain but reserve 5 tablespoons of the water.
I a pan I heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. If I use olive oil it is always extra virgin olive oil. To it I add 1 small onion cut into dices and 1/3 teaspoon ginger-garlic-paste. Stir fry this over low heat until the onions are soft. Than I add 125g prawns (peeled and de-veined) to it and cook them for about 1 minute or until they are done. This depends also on the size of the prawns you use. Small prawns need only a few seconds to be cooked. Take the cooked prawns out of the pan.
Add the 5 tablespoons of the broccoli water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the pan. I let it boil for about 1 minute. Than I add 1 ½ tablespoons cream to it season it with freshly ground pepper and salt and 1 teaspoon of chopped chives. Add the broccoli to the sauce and mix well.

To serve I place the pasta on a flat plate. On top of it I place the broccoli with the sauce. As a third layer I top it up with the prawns. If you feel like decorating it just sprinkle some finely chopped fresh chives over it.

This is one of the pasta dishes that is best enjoyed without adding any parmesan or other cheese to it.



Enjoy and have fun in the kitchen!

Love
Carola




No comments:

Post a Comment