Friday 15 June 2012

Coconut Crumble Cake With Mango Filling


Yes, it is still mango season so you will get a few more mango recipes here because I simply love mangoes.
What is interesting is that I never really liked mangoes when I was younger. I developed a liking for them only after I moved to India. But I guess that has to do with the variety of mangoes that are available here. In Germany we usually get African or Thai mangoes and they taste completely different from the ones you get here.

A crumble cake is one of the easiest cakes to make and one of the few egg-less cakes I make. It is a great cake if you want to bake with your child as all you need is a bowl and a scale. No kitchen machine or other things. The best method for it is to mix it with your hands. And I am sure your little one will love to get a bit messy.

The basic recipe for crumple is a sugar, flour, butter mixture in the ratio 1-2-1.
You can reduce the sugar a bit is the filling is already very sweet. For the flour part you can substitute part or the entire flour with finely grated nuts. You can also add up spices like cinnamon or vanilla to it. The butter used must be cold straight out of the fridge. You can substitute it with margarine if you are vegan. But make sure to use a margarine that hardens in the fridge. Otherwise the dough will be soft and won't set after baking.

This recipe is for a 20x20cm square shaped dish. You can also make individual tarts or bake it in a 22cm round pie dish.

To start with pre-heating my oven to 175°C and greasing the baking dish. Now I take 1 medium size mango, peel it and cut it in small dices.
In a bowl I mix 100g coconut flakes with 100g flour and 75g sugar. I cut 100g well chilled butter into small dices. I like to mix half salted and unsalted butter together as I like the contrast of the mild saltiness to the sweetness. I add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix them with my hands until I have nice crumbles.
Now I give 2/3 of the crumbles into the baking dish and press it slightly down that they bond and give a nice base. On top I put the diced mango and than the rest of the crumbles.

It goes straight into the oven for about 30 minutes. After baking let the cake cool down for 5 minutes. Than cut it into pieces while it is still in the baking dish. Let it cool down completely before removing it from the baking dish.
Instead of mangoes you can use peaches or apricots, either fresh or canned.



I like to serve this either some nice whipped cream, some vanilla ice cream or a vanilla yoghurt.
For the vanilla yoghurt I mix 200g yoghurt with 2 tablespoons icing sugar, the seeds from 1 vanilla bean and 2 tablespoons whipped cream. Mix it all together and that’s it.

Enjoy and have fun in the kitchen!

Love
Carola


No comments:

Post a Comment