Wednesday 11 July 2012

Plum Tart with Cinnamon Cream


This is the recipe for the plum tart I mentioned in my last blog. It is an old traditional recipe from the area I grew up in. Not much has changed in this recipe for the past few generations. My grandma used to make it. It is one of the 1st food memories I have.

It is a tart that is usually baked in the late summer when the plums are getting ripe. Ideal is to use dark ripe plums fresh from the tree. I actually called up my mother to double check with her if I got the recipe right. She was very amused when I did this but happily reconfirmed her recipe to me.
Unfortunately plums here in India are not as sweet as the ones that grow in my parents garden. This is why I added up a bit of sugar and cinnamon to the cream.

Traditionally this tart is served when it is still a bit warm with a big spoon of fresh unsweetened whipped cream on the side. It reminds me of my childhood when my Mom made it on Sunday afternoons. We would sit on the terrace or in the garden and indulge in a cake feast. This tart never lasted long and to be honest not much has changed since than. We still fight over the last piece of cake or the last spoon of cream whenever this is served.

For the short crust I take 250g flour, 2 leveled teaspoons baking powder, 50g custard sugar, 150 g very cold butter cut in dices and 60g egg. I put it all in a bowl and quickly mix it with my hands until I have a smooth dough. This dough I chill for about 1 hour in the fridge.
In the meantime I take 1-1,2kg ripe plums, cut them in halves and remove the seed.

I pre-heat the oven to 180°C and grease a 26cm tart form.

To roll out the dough I sprinkle some flour on the kitchen counter surface. I take the dough out of the fridge and pat it flat with my hands. With a rolling pin I roll the dough until it is round in shape and about 4mm thick. With the help of 2 spatulas I move the dough into the tart form. I cut off ans dough that is overlapping from the form. This will later go on top of the plums, similar to a crumble topping. The plums are put in circles into the tart form. On top of it I sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of sugar-cinnamon mix and add the left over dough in small pieces. The tart needs about 25-30 minutes in the oven.



For the cinnamon cream I take 200g fresh cream and whip it until it just starts to set. Now I add 1 tablespoon of sugar-cinnamon mix and whip it just to mix. The cream should not yet form peaks.

Cut the tart in generous pieces and serve it with the cinnamon cream on top or on the side.



You can make this tart also with apples or pears. You can also sprinkle some slivered almonds over it.

Enjoy and have fun in the kitchen!

Love
Carola

No comments:

Post a Comment