Tuesday 25 September 2012

Mutton Curry a la Carola


The Indian kitchen is like a big mystery to me. For the simple reason that I do not have a feeling for the spices used in it. I do not know how the flavour of a dish changes if I add more mustard seeds, turmeric or cumin to it. When it comes to herbs I know that, I know exactly how the flavour changes when I add more juniper berries, oregano or celery leaves to a dish.
Herbs are something I grew up with. So are spices like bay leaves, cinnamon, nutmeg or all spice because they are also used in European dishes. But how to mix a proper Masai is a mystery for me as I never learned it. Maybe I should start taking cooking lessons in it.

On the other hand I love Indian food. May it be North or South Indian, I love it. So I had to find a way to work around my lack of knowledge. And this is when I started experimenting with ready made masala mixes. In the beginning I wondered why my food tasted powdery until I learned that you need to temper the spices to bring out their flavour and to get rid of this powdery raw flavour. That was many years ago shortly after I moved to India. Over the years and lots of trials later I know that I do not like chat masala or anything made with it. I never liked fresh coriander but use it sometimes in cooking. I just make sure I remove all of it before I serve the food.

Besides this, a vast collection of masalas is meanwhile a stable in my kitchen. I just don't use them the traditional way. I happily mix them together and create my own personal interpretation of Indian food. For example madras curry powder with chilli, mango, onion, orange juice and raisins as a marinade for grilled chicken.

This is how I ended up with what I call Curry a la Carola. Here the mutton curry version. The routine is always the same.

In a big pot I heat 4-5 table spoons oil. I like to take sesame oil as it adds a nice flavour. I cut 1 large peeled onion into quarters and than into fine stripes. Once the oil is hot I add the onions, 1 teaspoon each garlic paste and ginger paste. Over reduced heat I let it fry for 2-3 minutes. Now comes the masala. I just take 1 teaspoon of each packet I have in my masala box so that I end up with 6 teaspoons of masala. Most times I blend a variety of graham masala, fish fry, mutton, tandoori, chicken and egg masala together. But let your creativity run wild.
Important is that you stir constantly while you temper the spices. They must not get burned as it will ruin the flavour. After tempering the spices I add 500g boneless mutton or lamb meat and stir-fry it a few minutes that it can absorb the masala flavour.
Now I add 2-3 dry red chilli cut into stripes, 300g tomatoes cut into small dices and 400g yoghurt to it. Give it a good stir and cover it with a lid.
Cook it over low head for about 30 minutes until the meat is very tender and the oil has separated from the rest of the gravy.



If you like to you can add the vegetables to it. In the same method you can also make a chicken or pure vegetable curry. Sometimes, especially if I add prawns or fish I add 400ml coconut milk to the masala base instead of the yoghurt. If I make prawn or fish curry I cook the gravy separately and add the prawns and fish only for the last few minutes to avoid over cooking them.

Every time I cook this it tastes a little bit different and I like it this way. I most times serve the curry with brown rice. This time I made dosa. I am honest with you, I bought the dosa batter. Another thing on my to-learn-list is how to make dosa.

Enjoy and have fun in the kitchen!

Love
Carola

No comments:

Post a Comment