Wednesday 28 March 2012

Apple-Vanilla Cake


In many parts of Germany we have the tradition that on Sunday afternoon the family meets for coffee (or tea) and cake. Often this coffee and cake is the extension of an elaborate Sunday family lunch with several generations around a big table.
Sometimes I miss these Sundays with the family even if ours often end up in a bit of a chaos. Sometimes I even miss that chaos. But my friends here are a wonderful substitute and we even manage the chaos sometimes... At least in the kitchen when we cook together. One thing we always manage is lots of laughter.
I like it if the house is full and there are lots of people at the dining table. And this old fashion style cake is one everyone likes especially if it is fresh out of the oven served with either fresh whipped cream, sour cream or ice cream. And not to forget a cup of nice freshly brewed coffee or tea.

To start off I peel 5 apples, cut them in quarters and than slice them. To the apples I add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, the seeds from 1 vanilla bean and 4 tablespoons sugar, mix it all in a bowl and let it set for 1-2 hours.
To get the seeds out of the vanilla bean cut it lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Don't throw the de-seeded bean away. Take a jar, fill it with sugar, add the vanilla bean to it and let it stand for about 2 weeks and you have wonderful vanilla sugar. You can add further vanilla beans to it when ever you have some left. There is no need to replace the vanilla beans once you use up the sugar. Just top it up with fresh sugar and let it stand again.
In the meantime I pre-heat the oven at 180°C and crease a 28cm pie dish with lots of butter.
In a large bowl I beat 120g egg (2-3 egg depending on size) with 100g sugar and the seeds of 1 vanilla bean until I have a pale foamy mass. I add 100ml refined vegetable oil and 100ml yoghurt to it and mix it just until it is blended together. In a bowl I mix 150g flour with 8g baking powder. Than I add the flour mix to the liquid and again mix it that it is just blended together. But be careful there should be no flour lumps in the dough.
I pour the dough in the pie form. Before putting the apples on top of the dough I drain all the liquid out. You can collect the liquid, it gives a nice aperitif if served with sparkling wine. Spread the apple slices even on top of the dough and bake the cake for about 15minutes.

While the cake is in the oven I mix in a bowl 100g cold salted butter cut into small pieces with 175g sugar and 175g flour until I have nice crumbles. These I sprinkle generously over the cake and bake it for another 30minutes at 180°C. I like to take salted butter for the crumbles as it nicely balances the flavours of the cake. But you can also use unsalted butter for it.



Enjoy and have fun cooking!

Love
Carola

1 comment:

  1. soooo yummmmy !! I made it for some of my friends last w-end and it was so delicious that they cant stopp themselfes eating :-))
    Thank you Frida !

    ReplyDelete