Monday 5 March 2012

Mushroom Sauce


This recipe is especially for all my friends who live alone and/or are struggling with cooking and want to impress guests once in a while. Arun I can already see you smile. I will give you 2 options for this sauce. I know, I said earlier I love using fresh ingredients but sometimes even I use short cuts and the help of ready-to-cook products.

For the 1st version I take 30g onion, 2 garlic cloves and 300 g of mushrooms. I cut it all into small dices. In a deep pan I melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add the onions and garlic to it. I fry them over low heat for about 2 minutes than I add the mushrooms and stir-fry the mixture for about 5 minutes to release the water from the mushrooms. I add 350ml vegetable stock to it and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. To get the creamy consistence I pour the mixture in a blender and blend it until I have a smooth mass. Than it all goes back into the pan over low heat. Add 50ml of wine and let simmer for a few minutes. In a small bowl I mix 1 heaped teaspoon of cornstarch with 50ml cream or milk (that depends on your taste and the fat content you like in your food). Add the starch mixture to the mushrooms, stir well and bring to a boil. If the sauce thickens too much I add a bit more vegetable stock. I season the sauce with pepper, salt, nutmeg and finely chopped parsley. This is the base for the mushroom sauce.
If you add another 200ml of vegetable stock you have a fresh cream of mushroom soup. Just sprinkle a bit of fresh cut parsley over as decoration.

Now I cut 30g onion into half centimetre dices. In a deep pan I heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the onions in ti til they are soft. While the onions are cooking I clean 400g of mushrooms and cut them also into half or quarters. I add the mushrooms to the pan and stir-fry them for a few minutes. I add my sauce base to the mushrooms and it is all ready to serve with pasta, chicken or whole grain rice.

To serve with pasta take 65g of try pasta / person and cook it in lots of salted water til they are al dente. Put the pasta on a plate, pour some sauce over it and decorate with some fresh or dry parsley.

This sauce is also a wonderful combination with chicken or beef. Here fore I take about 125g of chicken breast/ tenderloin beef per person and season it with lots of freshly ground pepper. In a teflon coated pan I heat about 1-2 teaspoons of oil and fry the meat from both sides til its done and golden brown on the outside.
To get a chicken/beef mushroom stew I cut the meat into stripes, season it with pepper and fry it in the pan. Once the meat is fried I mix it with the mushroom sauce. I serve it either with pasta or whole grain rice on the side.

So, now to the 2nd, the super quick, super easy version for which I cut 40g onion into small dices. In a deep pan I heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the onions in until they are soft. While the onions are cooking I clean 400g of mushrooms and cut them also into half or quarters. I add the mushrooms to the pan and stir-fry them for a few minutes. In a bowl I mix 1 pack of instant cream of mushroom soup with the amount of water as stated on the pack. I prefer products without MSG (mono-sodium glutamate) and preservatives. Here in India I usually use Maggi healthy soups in other parts of the world similar products. Add the soup to the mushrooms in the pan and let cook for 5 minutes. And your sauce is ready. If you want to make it special than replace 50ml of water with 50ml of wine. This recipe gives you 3-4 portions of sauce. 
Now you can serve it with meat, pasta or rice and impress your guest. Try it out, I am sure you will get lots of praise from your guests and no one needs to know your secret recipe.

By the way if you like to try out something different replace the common rice or pasta with cooked whole wheat grains or quinoa. Both add a nice nutty flavour to it.

The picture is showing grilled tenderloin steak with brown rice and the 1st version of the Mushroom sauce.



Enjoy and have fun in the kitchen!

Love
Carola



No comments:

Post a Comment